Crowns are similar to a cap that is placed over a tooth, and are used to save and restore a damaged tooth. Crowns look natural and allow patients to use their tooth again. The color of a crown can also be matched to your natural teeth, and crowns help to make damaged teeth strong again.
When Would a Crown be Necessary?
• To repair a cracked or damaged tooth
• After root canal treatment
• To help restore a misshapen or stained tooth
• To repair an existing crown that does not fit properly
Crowns can last anywhere between 5 to 15 years depending on wear and tear. Over time if the crown faces a higher level of wear and tear, this can lead to the need for crown replacement. If you use good oral hygiene and you are careful with your crown they can last up to 25-30 years.
Tips To Help Your Crown Last Longer
• Avoid biting down on hard objects or foods to prevent wear and tear of the crown.
• Attend regular cleanings in our office so we can ensure all looks good and your crown remains healthy.
• Avoid grinding or clenching your teeth. If you suffer from bruxism we may recommend a mouth guard.
• Make sure you are brushing and flossing daily, and you pay attention to the crown area while brushing.
If you experience any pain in or around your crown, or notice any cracks or chips please contact our office immediately. We will get you in to be seen as soon as possible.
Looking To Find Out More About Crowns?
If you are interested in finding out more about crowns and how they may benefit you, schedule a consultation in our office. We provide a detailed consultation process for all of our patients, and can recommend treatment options that work for you. Your oral health is our priority, and we go above and beyond to provide the highest level of care for all of our patients.
To schedule an appointment please contact our office, and our friendly staff will be happy to assist you.